Monday, February 25, 2013

Organizing, de-cluttering and cleaning.

Many people call it "Spring Cleaning" but if you were to visit our home it might as well be called spring, summer, fall and winter cleaning. Every season I get into moods where I start organizing, de-cluttering and cleaning things that don't get the USUAL weekly go around (i.e. vacuuming, mopping, cleaning the stove/fridge/counters, bathrooms you know, the usual)...Last year when the school year was over I made a list of "To-do" for the summer and I completed it in a week because I was so excited to check items off of my list.
Well, a couple of weeks ago I got into I guess what is technically "winter cleaning." And the feeling hasn't gone away and the list is being formed and checked off daily. I think I got my husband, Chase, in on it too, he started cleaning a shelf in the pantry... of course this could have been to make room for the alcohol my mom gifted us.  My mom is going on a cleaning streak in her kitchen and she is passing items onto me... (like the aforementioned alcohol). So, of course I decided i should clean out my entire house and I have been busy.
Last week I decided to tackle my closet. I went through my 2 drawers of workout clothes, and through all of the hangers. Once I was finished I had to go shopping. I hold onto things that either no longer fit, are falling apart, or unflattering (why did I buy THAT in the first place?? lol)
Today I went through the pantry.. I typically "organize" the pantry every couple of weeks after grocery shopping, but actually cleaning it and de-cluttering, that's once every 3 months...However, even though I tackle this favorite job (seriously I love organizing my pantry items) I found some stuff that shouldn't have been in there... first of all I found some beef jerky that had got shoved in the back of the pantry... it had mold on it.. i didn't even think that was possible..then I found some food items dated 2010 and 2011....needless to say I threw those items away.
Yesterday I organized the "Spice cabinet".. I like to only keep spices in there, but somehow there were spices, medications (some dated 2009!),  and an old sticky timer...
Next up are Claire's toys/clothes... so if anyone around here that's reading this blog is looking for (or knows someone who needs) toddler type toys/clothes let me know, she has wayyyy too many.
After Claire's toys/clothes I will probably be done until next season, unless I find something else that needs organizing/de-cluttering... I do keep a junk drawer in the kitchen, but I organized that a couple of weeks ago too... it has a battery kit, candles and some pens/paper for lists and such....
My Aunt Cindy once told me that I should start a business, de-cluttering people's items, because I love it so much. That would be the BEST job ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment