Sunday, June 29, 2014

Poetry

Some of my most favorite outlets are running, listening to music, writing in my journal, and writing poetry.

 I enjoy sharing this passion of poetry writing with my students. First with my junior high kids. I could share some really deep words.  Since I was teaching at a Christian Private school we spent quite a bit of our Bible time studying Proverbs (a lot of really good advice there!) and Psalms. With my 3rd grade students I spent much more time helping them comprehend the figurative language and meanings in poetry, as well as making poems into songs for memorization, but my favorite part was sharing my passion for writing poetry with my students and reading their words. Let me just say if they continue writing with that much passion we will truly be entertained and intellectually inspired.  Some of the poems I read at the hand of 8 year old students were so intense I had to re read them a few times and take a few breathes.

These kids have feelings, emotions and sensitivity that many times we overlook as adults, myself included.


A favorite poem of ours to write was the concrete, in which we would write about an object in the shape of the object. Here's my example I'm trying my best with spacing and shape.

                        Swing   sets are so   exciting my   heart races
                    As.           The.               Swing.              Goes
                   Up.           Then.            Down.                  Flying
                 High.          Over.              Every.                 Thing
                Look.           Ing.                 Past                    And
              Above           All Fences trees and                Fields.
               


No comments:

Post a Comment