Monday, June 30, 2014

Summer Adventures 2014, Part 1 OneRepublic Concert

The very first day of my Summer Vacation was not even the very first day, it was actually the eve of my Summer Vacation. I purposefully scheduled a concert in my summer itinerary for the last day of school.
I can tell you right now this was the best decision ever. I didn't have to wish away any of my summer days to see my favorite band, but I did have to be patient during our morning awards assembly on the last day of school.
I was able to get through the morning teaching without many tears, because I was just so excited about the concert. I say without MANY tears, because of course I always shed a couple of tears at the end of the year, as my students are so special to me.  I gave them a 2 minute speech before the left for the end of the school year about how it was such an honor and privilege for me to be their teacher. I cleaned my classroom of any items I needed to bring home for the summer, turned in my keys, dropped off some games and (necessary items that I won't mention), chatted for 2 minutes and drove home.
The concert was about 4 hours away and by the time I got home it was close to 2PM.  My husband was home already packed up with our bags and tickets and hotel information. We met my mom at Claire's school, handed off bags of clothes, carseat, hugs and kisses and we were off!
We drove listening to "The Fault in Our Stars" on Audible, talking about Summer adventures and the concert venue. We went to the Shoreline Amphitheater, and neither of us had been there before, so this was quite an adventure for us both. We checked into our hotel, which was quite pretty, but had a ton of older ladies standing out front in glitter jumpsuits. I wondered if they were going to see OneRepublic also, but it just didn't seem right.
We hopped back on the freeway, turned on the GPS, 3 miles away, but it said 25 minutes, which I thought was strange. ... Until we came to the offramp we needed and we were at a complete stop, inched forward, stop, go, stop, go... suddenly the GPS changed its mind and said 40 minutes, then a little while later it said 12, I decided not to trust the GPS and its minute trickery.
We made it to Shoreline with plenty of time to spare.
American Authors were on stage singing about the best day of their lives.



I had to admit this had to be one of mine.

 Claire LOVES that song, so I told Chase, "Claire would have loved this!" He agreed, but later we decided bringing small children to this event would have been a terrible idea. First of all there were so many people she may have been trampled. Secondly we didn't arrive back to our hotel until WAY past her bedtime. So it was a good thing she stayed the night with my Mom.
The Script was amazing. They asked the audience if they had any terrible ex boyfriends and several were cheering and waving their hands around. They ended up taking a girl's cell phone, calling her ex boyfriend, whom had a very unfortunate name (I can't remember the name but it was something unfortunate). The lead singer sang into the phone and at the end told the girl she must have really not liked that guy, to which she agreed. However, I was thinking, if The Script called and sang to me, no matter the song I wouldn't be offended one bit!
The sun had set and the giant amphitheater went completely dark. The stage lit up, but OneRepublic was behind a curtain, we could only see shadows. Of course they sang "Light it up," due to the darkness and flames and all.

It was awesome.  Some concerts I've been to the singers sing and I think, THAT is not how they should sound, but this concert was not like that. They sounded EVEN better than on the radio.

I can't even pick a favorite song, because I love all of their songs. So here's just a very good one, but I would highly suggest just listening to all of their music.


The next morning we drove home and on the way we stopped at Casa De Fruta, one of my most favorite places.


Funny, because it is just a rest stop area, but I feel at peace when we go there, everything seems how it should be and there are so many fun things to do, like a train to ride, carousel and wine to taste (the best part obviously!).... We came home, my mom brought Claire by, we washed some laundry and started to pack for the next adventure which was to come a mere 36 hours later.... DISNEYLAND with a four year old and two extremely excited parents that are pretty fond of seeing their girl's eyes light up. I will write about Disneyland next..

No comments:

Post a Comment