Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Running away with books

"What you read when you don't have to determines what you will be when you can't help it." --Oscar Wilde


I read anything and everything. My daughter is the same way. She doesn't have the capability of actually phonetically reading text yet, as she is only 2.5, but she does make up stories. Last night we gave her a bag of new clothes and she chose the coupon as her favorite part of the package. She told me to read it. There was a picture of a model girl on the front and a model boy on the back with tiny fine print writing, explaining how to procure 20 percent off of a purchase. She didn't care about that. She wanted their story. I made it up. The girl loved butterflies and the boy loved fishing. So the story went, nothing exciting exactly, but she had me read it again and again.
I  remember the one time I had decided to run away, as a child, I was about 10.  What did I pack? Well, of course I got my overnight case and I filled it with.... books. I didn't even think about anything else, no clothes, no money, nothing but books. My mom came into the room I shared with my little sister and brother and asked what I thought I was doing. I lied. (Although she knew, I am not sly at all). I said I was just organizing my books. I am laughing at the memory now. Where was I going to go? Was I going to sit under a tree and read books day and night with no food or water?

There is the question people sometimes ask about what one would do if the house was to burn down, without getting the obvious; my daughter, husband, family members (including pet dogs and tortoise)  what would I save?
I couldn't get all of the books, we have bookshelves full... I couldn't save all of the pictures (which are fortunately backed up on this computer).  So what would I take with me. I wish I knew, I hope I never get put in that situation and have to find out...

I honestly would give my entire house away if that was asked of me. I am not attached to it. I treasure the memories here, friends that have walked through, family that has lived here. I would do the same with my books. I treasure them like old friends, but I want to share them with the world. If anyone is looking for a book to read I give mine away willingly and I sometimes wonder where they are and what they are doing (my books), but I am glad someone else gets to share their beautiful stories. That's how I want to live my life; the purpose of blogging. I want to share my life like I share my books, share my stories, my experiences and hope they inspire others, encourage others, teach others and maybe even somehow open eyes to the beauty in the small things: coupons that become stories, dreams that can become reality.



2 comments:

  1. Nice Shayna!! I'm the same way with books! They have to be spread out everywhere so that people can enjoy the story as much as I did!! And the greatest gift I can give or receive is a book. Especially if there is a memory or significance attached to it. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this Shayna! I always tell my first graders that reading aloud to them on the carpet is my absolute favorite part of every school day and that I wish I could read to them longer. Early on in my career, I remember reading my class a story and thinking, "I'm actually getting PAID to do this! How lucky am I!" So happy Claire is following in your well-grounded footsteps in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete